Saturday, March 2, 2013

Challenges

There are things in life that are quite the challenge.  I'm a firm believer in pushing yourself outside of your comfort zone.  Pushing boundaries.  I mean really, it's not going to kill you to try it, is it?  So what if you fail. You didn't really fail because you learned something.  See, it's all in the approach.

But sometimes it's more of a challenge because it's not just you.  Sometimes your kid has difficulties and you can't fix it.  You want to, but you either 1) don't know how or 2) can't.

Hello dyslexia and ADHD.  Oh, I noticed you a few years ago and tried to get the teachers to listen, but was told it was fine and you would outgrow it.  And now I have a wonderfully bright child that is falling behind in math.  And I suspect it's like a foreign language to the child.  A foreign language I just can't explain to them, because I have no freaking clue how to translate it in a manner in which makes sense to them.

And I'm frustrated because the teacher is making it seem like the child isn't trying hard enough.  Really?  This is not for lack of trying.  It's a lack of their brain processing the information exactly the way you want it to.  (or I secretly want it to, because that would make it so much easier).

No comments: